This is a fantastic graduate role, in an area which is becoming increasingly crucial to our industry, and extensive training and support will be provided. Our WebOps Engineers are at the forefront of deploying and overseeing our operation of digital services and solutions across a variety of our projects. The team works as authority figures on our software projects, for both configuration management and continuous integration, providing strong automation leadership.
We have excellent opportunities for technical graduates to join us in a role where they can develop their passion for designing and developing infrastructure components within our Agile software project. These roles would suit graduates with strong infrastructure, shell scripting and networking skills, but who also have good coding knowledge, and can work alongside our development teams as a key part of our projects. This role is due to start in Summer 2019.
What you’ll do:
As a Graduate Ops Engineer in Kainos, you’ll be responsible for helping to automate and build modern digital service platforms. You’ll be continually learning about industry best practices, new technologies and approaches, with talented colleagues that will help you to learn, develop and grow.
· You’ll be based on our customer site a lot of the time, key to our delivery projects, designing and developing infrastructure component within an agile team that meets user needs and quality standards
· You’ll contribute to the automation, deployment and operation of components or layers of the infrastructure and application, layers that are scalable, resilient, open, secure and cost effective
· You’ll work with Developers, Security Engineers and WebOps to deliver an operationally ready service
· You are able to recognise and flag issues outside area of own expertise or responsibility to managers and technical leads
· You thrive in high-pressure Production environments.
Who you are:
· You are currently studying a degree with at least a 60% component of IT.
· You’ll have some experience using scripting languages to automate tasks, and a knowledge of virtualisation and/or a public cloud platform.
· You’ll be able to debug and troubleshoot problems across operating systems.
· You will have a naturally open attitude to sharing information, as working within our agile development projects is key
· You will ideally have some basic experience of Configuration Management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Saltstack, as well as experience of Virtualisation and Cloud technologies.
· Some contribution to open source projects, or other technology related community sharing, is desirable.
· Experience of applying common industry design principles and patterns
· Exposure to modern version control systems.
· Experience of using public cloud platforms such as AWS and Azure, including SaaS and PaaS offerings
· Good communication skills, with the ability to communicate issues to other technical people, and sometimes to non-technical people.
What you’ll get
We’ve built a truly creative, stimulating and rewarding work environment at Kainos. You’ll plot out your own career path, with access to bespoke training through our MAP training academy. You’ll be surrounded by people looking to learn and grow while mentoring and developingthose around them.
Through MAP, we'll ensure you can attend some of our specialised courses in conjunction with universities and external training providers, and we will give you the time to drive your own development. You’ll be challenged, and you’ll be given the autonomy to meet those challenges.
Travelling will be required (potentially 3-4 nights a week away from your home base.) Full expenses and travel allowance will be paid. You’ll gain invaluable hands on project experience in a fast paced environment, developing your skills and your confidence to help you kick start your career.
Who we are
What we do is mind-blowing: we use cutting-edge digital technology to change the way the world works. Our vision is to enable outstanding people to create digital solutions that have a positive impact on people’s lives.
Kainos is a high-growth IT services company providing digital technology solutions and agile software development to enterprise customers. Across our 30-year history, we have worked on transformational projects across government, NHS and a myriad of private sector clients.
Closing date – 29 October 2019