Technology Summer Placement
YouView is obsessed with finding new ways to transform and improve the daily viewing experience of UK audiences. Launched in 2012, we are a joint venture between BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva some of the UKs leading media businesses. Weve already unlocked a world of content and services for over two and half million households, combining Live TV and On Demand with cutting edge technology to bring our viewers the most brilliantly simple way to find and watch the TV they love.
Following on from 5 years of successful Intern schemes, this year were going bigger and better and currently recruiting for a number of paid 10-week internships in London all due to start on June 24th 2019! Many of our top placement students benefit from a fast path onto our highly competitive and prestigious graduate schemes.
Our Technology teams hold responsibility for the design, development and deployment of a wide range of complex, cutting edge software and hardware developed by YouView.
This scope covers all aspects of the entire YouView eco-system, from developing HTML and mobile applications to AV media encoding and distribution. We work on building and managing back-end services to keeping the platform running 24/7, alongside developing set-top box software to automated testing; and working with device manufacturers to helping content providers publish their content.
Our technology teams are pivotal to the success of our business hence we have a number of opportunities all to start on June 24th 2019:
As an intern in one of the Technology teams your responsibilities will include:
- Design and test of YouView software and products
- Design and implement feature rich platform components from requirements
- Work in a matrix managed, fast paced Development team through the full software development lifecycle helping drive the delivery of technically complex solutions
- Work in an agile, cross functional team taking responsibility for deliverables and quality. This will involve the sizing of work, development of code, writing tests and reviewing changes with peers and seniors
- Involved with the technical design of solutions for your team, working with the appropriate stakeholders
- Working with the Solution Architect to ensure the team delivers to required quality and adheres to best practice
- Attend development retrospectives, design and code reviews
- Production of high-level technical design documents for products
- Developing HTML and mobile applications
- AV media encoding and distribution
- Testing set top box software and hardware
In addition, you will develop skills that will build the foundations of your career and take part in volunteering initiatives that give back to communities.
Skills and Experience
- Youll need to be in your penultimate or final year of an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, studying Engineering, Maths, Physics or Computer Science and be on track to achieve at least a 2.1.
- In addition, you will need to have familiarity with data structures and algorithms. Excellent analytical skills and the ability to solve problems giving consideration to the end user experience with some knowledge or experience of Agile development practices.
- Our interns need to be passionate about technology and the solutions we are designing, with awareness of industry, best practices and new technology trends. You must have excellent computer literacy with practical programming experience in one or more of the following technologies:
- C/C++ development (Linux)
- Web service development (client or server side)
- Android / iOS
You must be available to be onsite and start June 24th - August 30th 2019. 10 weeks paid internship
You must be legally eligible to work in the UK.
Interviews will take place in our London office, between April 23th - 30th 2019
Applications are open now and will close April 8th 2019.